Showing all 8 results
What is Lortab?
Lortab is a combination of two drugs named as acetaminophen and hydrocodone. Hydrocodone is an opioid (sometimes called narcotic) pain medicine. Acetaminophen is also called Tylenol. This medicine is a less potent pain reliever and reduces fever.
It also increases the effect of hydrocodone. Lortab is used on average to severe pain. It may also be used for purposes that are not listed here.
Before Taking Lortab:
Hydrocodone is a narcotic drug that may slow your breathing. You should not take this medicine in a large amount or for long-term beyond the prescription. In regular doses, Lortab may become your habit because it shows a strong tendency of habit-forming.
Do not share this medicine with anyone, especially someone with a history of drug addiction. This medicine should be out of the reach of children and keep in the place where others cannot find it.
Misuse of this drug may cause addiction, overdose, or death, especially in a child or other person using this medicine without a prescription. If you are dealing with an MAO inhibitor for the last 14 days, then do not use this medicine.
Do not use Lortab if you are allergic to acetaminophen or hydrocodone, or if you consume alcohol, sedatives, tranquilizers, or other narcotic medications recently.
Some medicines may interact with hydrocodone and cause a severe problem called serotonin syndrome. If you are going to take Lortab, you should have to go to your doctor and adequately tell him every medication that you take.
Consult him if you are taking medicine for depression, mental illness, Parkinson’s disease migraine headaches, serious infections, or prevention of nausea and vomiting.
It is essential to share with your doctor if you are facing any one of disease, before taking this medicine.
- Cirrhosis, liver disease, if you drink alcohol per day.
- If you are suffering from kidney disease.
- Low blood pressure or dehydration.
- Head injury, brain tumor, or stroke.
- If you are using sedatives like Valium.
How should I take Lortab?
This medicine may be habit-forming. Misuse of this drug may cause addiction, or death, especially in a child or other person using this medicine without proper prescription.
Doses of Lortab may adjust according to the severity of your pain and the response of the patient. The usual dosages of this drug for adults are 5mg one or two tablets every four to six hours, 7.5 mg one tablet every four to six hours or 10 mg one tablet every four to six hours.
The dosage of this drug may depend on the stage of your pain. It may differ from the above in your prescription. Use your medicine as you prescribed
What happens if I miss a dose?
Lortab should be taken according to your needs. If you are taking this medicine regularly, take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Do not take the missed dose if the next dose is almost near, as you may suffer from overdosing.
What happens if I overdose?
Do not overdose Lortab, if you feel you had taken this medicine in excess then immediately seek emergency medical attention. An overdose of this medicine may be dangerous.
The very first signs of overdosing include loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, sweating, and confusion. You may feel weakness. Later symptoms are a pain in your upper stomach, dark urine, whites your eyes, and yellowing your skin.
Overdosing symptoms may include extreme drowsiness, pinpoint pupils, cold and clammy skin, muscle weakness, fainting, or breathing problem.
If you feel anyone of the above immediately stop using this medicine and go to your doctor as soon as possible.
What should I avoid while taking Lortab?
Driving a vehicle or operating machinery should be avoided while you are taking this medicine since the Lortab effect on your thinking and reaction. Dizziness or severe drowsiness can cause falls or other accidents.
Before using any other cold, allergy, pain, or sleep medication, consult with your doctor that it is safe for you. Certain products react with Acetaminophen and may cause you to get too much acetaminophen which can lead to an overdose.
Drinking alcohol must be avoided during medication. The mixture of alcohol with Lortab may put you in danger.
Lortab Side Effects:
If you have indications of an allergy to Lortab, then do not use this medicine. If you feel difficulty in breathing, swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat gets emergency medical help. Acetaminophen may cause severe skin reactions that may be dangerous.
It is a rare but severe side-effect of this drug. If you feel skin redness or a rash that spreads and causes blistering and peeling, stop taking Lortab and call your doctor right away.
Some other side-effects are listed below, call your doctor once if you feel –
- Slow heartbeat, shallow breathing.
- A light-headed feeling.
- Confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior,
- Seizure, bleeding, or easy bruising.
- Impotence, loss of interest in sex.
- The liver problem, nausea, pain in the upper stomach, itching, loss of appetite.
- Low cortisol levels, dark urine.
- Some common side-effects of Lortab are –
- Drowsiness, headache.
- Upset stomach, constipation.
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
What other drugs will affect Lortab?
Many drugs interact with narcotic medication and cause dangerous side-effects. Be sure you have shared these to your doctor –
- If you are taking other narcotic medications like opioid pain medicine or prescription cough medicine.
- If you are taking drugs that make you sleepy or slow your breathing.
- If you are taking medicines for depression, Parkinson’s disease, migraine headaches, serious infection, etc.
Other drugs may also interact with Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen. This is not a complete list; all possible interactions are not listed here.
Hydrocodone bitartrate and acetaminophen oral solution have the potential for addiction, abuse, and misuse. It can lead to overdose. This medicine prescribes for short-term use, and It is not recommended for the long term. Using this medicine long-term may put you in addiction with Lortab.
Do not increase the recommended total daily dose suggested by the doctor. Driving a vehicle or operate machinery may be dangerous while taking Lortab. It may be hazardous because this medicine may feel you sleepy or lose your control from your body.
- There are many different strengths of Lortab available in the market. Make sure you are taking the prescribed dose.
- If you feel difficulties in breathing, wheezing, itching or facial swelling call your doctor immediately.
- Call your doctor if you feel nausea or vomiting, pain in the stomach, itching, yellowing of your skin, etc
- If you think you have become addicted to this drug, call your doctor and consult with him,
- Do not suddenly stop using this medicine. Consult with your doctor and leave this medicine by reducing its dose at the appropriate time.